Driving Directions
winston home with victorian accents


Winston New Mexico (first called Fairview) was settled in 1881 by miners who found nearby Chloride “too rowdy.” It had a school, bars, a newspaper, horse races, and featured plays and songfests at Cloudman Hall (named for the local butcher).

Miner, businessman, and future state legislator Frank H. Winston, who came to town in 1882, owned several businesses (including the Frank Winston Carriage House) and generously gave credit to customers in hard times.  When he died in 1929, the town was renamed in his honor.

winston new mexico previously called fairview

While Winston flourished until the silver panic of 1893, today only a few families remain. The Aldo Leopold and Gila wilderness areas are readily accessed from here. Many of Sierra County’s hunting guides and outfitters are based in Winston, and the Geronimo Trail Guest Ranch is nearby.

frank winston carriage house winston new mexico

Frank Winston’s home and the Carriage House (pictured above) still stand, along with the 1890 schoolhouse, the old post office, and other historic buildings.  

The Winston General Store is open 7 days per week and sells fuel, basic groceries, plus hot coffee, to-go barbecue sandwiches, and showers.


Winston is located 38 miles northwest of T or C on NM 52.